No No list
Compiled by Moosecoons Maine Coon Cats & Kittens in Maryland
If you would like to link to these pages, please email me your request
scroll on down, lots of info and links included!
Pet Poison Helpline (link)
"24 Hour service to experts in pet poisonings. In order to provide this critical service, please be advised that there is a $35 per incident fee, payable by credit card. This fee covers the initial consultation as well as all follow up calls associated with the management of the case. 800-213-6680."
ASPCA Poison Control Center (link)
"Animal Poison Control Center - We are your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, call (888) 426-4435. A $60 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card."
Cornell page of Cat Toxins (link)
|Cornell page of Dog Toxins (link)|
Animals can be poisoned by ingestion (eating), contact or inhaling.
Symptoms of poisoning include drooling, trembling, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, coma & disorientation, sometimes leading to permanent physiological damage or even death. In cases of suspected poisoning, call your vet on your way to his or her office. If you have an idea of what your pet may have ingested or been exposed to, tell them immediately so the vet can do the necessary research. If possible bring the poisoning agent with you (plant, household products, etc, just grab it and your pet and get to the vet!)
A healthy young animal has bright eyes, an inquisitive nature and a normal appetite. If your dog or cat is exhibiting lethargy, loss of appetite, dull eyes or a disinclination to tackle its favorite toy or treat, you should see your vet sooner than later. These may be symptoms of poisoning, an infection or potentially life-threatening illness.
All lists included on this site have been
compiled from various online sources.
Basic Items In The House
solids, aerosol sprays, beads, plug-ins etc
|carpet fresheners||charcoal starting fluid||colognes/perfumes|
|cosmetics||dish detergents||drain cleaners|
|epoxy glues||furniture polish||gun cleaners|
|insulation (fiberglass, etc)||jewelry cleaner||kerosene|
|lamp oil||laundry detergents||lead curtain weights|
|lye||metal cleaners||moth balls|
|nail polish||nail polish remover||oven cleaner|
|paint||paint thinners and removers||permanent wave solution (hair)|
|petroleum products||pine oil and pine cleaning products||plant food|
|potpourri||rodent poison||scented candles|
|shampoo||shaving lotion||toilet bowl cleaner|
|turpentine||varnishes and stains||window cleaner|
A note on Gardening...
Virtually all gardening products are suspect - keep them and tools away from your pets' access. Fertilizers, pesticides, herbicides and weed-killers, mulches, lime and other soil additives, fungicides - all potential killers. If you do a simple weed and feed on your lawn, or spay lawn weed-killer, or have a company that tends your lawn, keep your pets away from treated areas until 100% dry. What your dog may carry in on his feet may end up in his mouth or your indoor cats'! Your pet may also be affected just by contact, as toxins can be carried into the bloodstream through skin or pawpads.
Other things they might encounter that can be dangerous
whether by toxin, choking, entanglement or intestinal blockage...
|bags with handles||cigarettes, cigarette butts||dental floss|
|food scraps, particularly bones||plastic wrapping||small hard plastic or metal items|
|electrical cords||hanging threads (on upholstered furniture or bedding)||q-tips|
|computer and phone cords||twisty ties|
|fringe on rugs or lamp shades||
(needles, thread, etc)
Don't laugh over the inclusion of tampons - many dogs die from toxic shock syndrome every year after retrieving old tampons from unprotected trash!
Aromas, Odors, Inhalants, Oh My!
Cats and Birds are particularly susceptible to
odors, such as scented candles, air fresheners, potpourri, etc. The airborne
toxins in such items, while negligible to humans, can build in the liver of
these pets to toxic levels - we will adjust to the smell and it doesn’t appear
as strong to our nose anymore, so may want to increase amounts to get that “good
smell” back, but the pet may be inhaling toxic levels.
Links to general health hazards of air fresheners (human studies):
Extra care should be taken when using strong smelling chemicals in the presence of these
pets as well,
oven cleaners, furniture strippers, turpentine and derivatives, etc are especially dangerous and pets should be kept as far as possible from areas where these are being used. Read your labels carefully, if there are human warnings generally you can multiply those dangers x 10 for your pets! Whenever using chemicals make sure you have good ventilation and use fans to disperse odors more efficiently, remove pets from areas where work
is being done whenever possible!
Keep chemicals and food in enclosed cabinets!
Cover your Trashcans!
Keep them Safe
Back to Moosecoons Links page
[ Studly Boys ] [ Moosechicks ] [ Available MooseKittens ] [ Retired Friends ] [ Grand Mooses ]
[ Kitten Articles, Health information, Buyers Ap, Contract & Guarantee ]
[ why choose Life's Abundance? ]
[ Poisons & Dangers ] [ Animal Welfare ] [ Critter Health at Home made Simple ] [ Cat-Toys ]
[ Cake or Death? (things that make me laugh) ] [ Non-Coonie Critters ] [ Silly Pics ] [ Misc Pics ] [ Other Links ]
[ Designs by skb, graphics, web pages and more.... ]
Moosecoons Maine Coon Cats & Kittens in Maryland